All Around Arkansas: Where Three States Meet

 


                As most people know, in Texarkana, one can stand in two states at once. There’s a spot in front of the federal courthouse and post office known as Photographer’s Island, where thousands of people throughout the years have taken their photo with one foot in Arkansas and the other in Texas. 

                But not too far from Texarkana near Atlanta, Texas (Cass County), is a place where one can actually stand in not just two, but three states at once. It’s not nearly as well known as Photographer’s Island, but it’s a fascinating thing nonetheless.

                I had never heard of what’s known as the Three States Marker until I read a post about it on one of the many Arkansas-themed Facebook pages I follow. When I learned it was not too far from my in-laws' home in Wake Village, Texas, I knew I had to go. And as it happened, my wife and I were going to be traveling soon to the Lone Star State for my nephew's high school graduation. 

                I invited my mother-in-law, who’s always up for a good adventure, if we could go and she was happy to oblige. She was excited about visiting the roadside attraction because even though she grew up in the Ark-La-Tex area, she had never heard of the Three States Marker.

                Saturday morning, she and I headed out in search of the Three States Marker. We took Highway 59 out of Wake Village toward Atlanta and then turned onto Highway 77. From what I could gather from the information I found on the internet, the small concrete marker was located under a tree in some woods between a liquor store and an abandoned gas station. 

                We began looking for the marker as soon as Google Maps began showing that we were in the vicinity. But all we saw were the Louisiana and Texas welcome signs. So I went into the liquor store and asked for directions. One of the employees walked me outside and pointed to a tree. 

                According to the employee, several people per day ask about the location of the roadside attraction. After a short walk through the weeds, we found the tiny stone marker that marks the intersection of Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas. 

                According to the circular bronze plaque on its top, the concrete obelisk was placed there in 1930 by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. Carved on the marker’s side are ARK, LA and TEXAS, denoting the three states that meet at the point.

                Like other tourists, we had to take several pictures of us standing by and on the marker. While we were there, several other folks showed up to see the Three States Marker. If you want even more photos from your visit, the state welcome signs for Louisiana and Texas are close enough that you can get pictures of both while standing in the same spot. 

                There wasn’t much else to see, so we headed back to my in-laws' home in Wake Village, but not before paying a visit to the dam and spillway of Wright Patman Lake (formerly Lake Texarkana), where my mother-in-law took many fishing trips with her late father. I enjoyed hearing her childhood memories and stories about the “good ol’ days.”

                When it comes to the Three States Marker, while I wouldn’t recommend going out of your way to see it, if you’re in the area, definitely stop by and get a photo. After all, how many places can you be in three states at the same time and have the photographic evidence to prove it?

Comments